Friday, July 23, 2010

A night of Indian classical dance at SAE





Indian classical dance workshop

I love dancing. Thus, saying no to a request from an SAE [South American Explorer’s Club] member to host an event about it seemed not an option. For my lovely readers who do not know of SAE, it is a club here in Ecuador that offers membership to those [usually foreigners] interested in their events. Events include trips to various parts of Ecuador, the beach, or even the jungle. Usually there are monthly club events as well and I hosted July's.


I spent quite some time preparing for it and even attempted making a braid—major fail by the way since the hair I bought was so cheap. The $2 synthetic material I bought at the African beauty store in Somerville was better than the $6.00 wig I found here. But, I decided, eh why use it?

So I dolled myself up accordingly and headed over to SAE. About 1 hr into the night there were 7 people total. And yes, that included the director who had no choice, but to be there.

Dancing is always a delight for me, but last night I’m pretty sure I couldn’t feel my toes. The floor was sooooo cold, unusually cold actually. But, my highlight was the support that I got from the 7 people who came and participated in the “workshop.” By the end of the night, I had a couple students, the director, my friends and a member complete a Namaskar and an adavu.

At least I can sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment